Why Do Dancers Need Leg Strength?
Having adequate leg strength can have many benefits for improving and developing dance technique.
Having a strong core, shoulders and back can assist with better posture, while strengthening hamstrings, calves and quad muscles can benefit dancers by assisting with:
- The ability to jump higher. Having strong leg muscles gives more power for jumps and leaps.
- More stability for better balance. This will assist with turns and leg holds as well as make landings easier.
- More muscle can lower the risk of injury. The muscles around the bones help to soften landings.
- Less stress on the joints while dancing. The joints will be more resilient to hard landings and fast changes in direction if they are strong
- Better turnout and technique. Stronger muscles improves the ability to maintain turnout while dancing and completing difficult technical movements like turns and leaps.
What are some of your favourite exercises to strengthen your leg muscles? Let us know over on Instagram @dancefactor or on Facebook.
Dance Factor is a Wollongong-based dance studio, offering classes in all styles for all ages and abilities. If you are interested in enrolling or trialling a class or have any general enquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org.